It started normally... then I woke up. And I was a big bundle of nerves. To make myself feel better I spent lots of time getting ready and looking super cute for the first day- favorite skirt, comfy sandals, curly hair. Then I go outside, and what do I see? Rain. And lots of it. I mean, it was pouring. I practically ran to the subway. About ten minutes into my ride I get an email from Harry saying he'll be late and to not come in until ten (instead of 9:30). Okay... so I get off at Times Square and it's only about nine. Yay for standing under a temporary metal awning outside Walgreens for half an hour! It was funny because about ten other people were doing the same thing I was to get out of the rain.
Then I finally got to go to the office. I arrived feeling like a drowned rat. Nonetheless, Harry and Jen welcomed me right in (despite having to be terrified at my scraggly appearance). I spent the first little bit getting acquainted with his work (through a few binders full of published rooms he's done) and his office (just by sitting there and taking it all in). Let me just say, Autumn wasn't kidding when she said he collects a ton of random stuff. I love it! I've never seen so many awesome little knick knacks in one place. Plus he has about 50 antique Christmas tree stands. I was expecting to see his cute little dog Samson today, but sadly he wasn't there. Apparently the little guy really didn't like the rain. Also, Harry just plugged in his iPod and we got to listen to music all day. I'm totally okay with this.
Anyway. I spent the day in the office doing, well, intern things. I drew up a garage plan in CAD, cataloged the books along his wall (he has a ton of books covered in random little objects, and the whole shelf probably hasn't been dusted ever), helped him set up his new iPad, ate a delicious sandwich from Lenny's for lunch (grilled chicken, lettuce, mozzarella, onions, and red peppers), and then, after 7 or so hours of that, we went to the opening for an Elle Decor showhouse down on 28th street...
Well we started by going to 28th street. It turns out the showhouse was back up on 53rd... whoops. Anyway, it was crowded and hot, but it was cool I guess :) Then we headed home (finally).
Oh, and also! Harry's letting me help him redesign his bathroom! SOO excited :D
Overall it was a good day. Long and tiring, but good. I think I'm gonna like it. I'm meeting Jen tomorrow (she's Harry's assistant designer) up the street to go to the D&D and such, so I'm excited!
World of interior designers, here I come!
Here are some pics of the office for your viewing pleasure :)
My vantage point from the couch. Jen sits at the desk.
Tulip lamp... and lots of antique Christmas tree stands
Olli the ostrich (and some books and stuff)
Cactus lamp?
I cataloged all these books today! Yay me. It took like 2 hours... but it was really cool looking at all the little trinkets he had on those shelves!
You can sure tell it's an interior designer's office! Everything is so unusual. And is that a real stuffed Ostrich? I sure hope not.
ReplyDeleteHope it doesn't rain tomorrow:)
Not sure how to be "known." Ha ha.
DeleteLinda